With longer days, a shining sun, and school out of session, summer is the perfect time to travel! So, why not redeem those points and pack your bags? Here’s where to visit this summer.
IF YOU WANT TO… TOTALLY ESCAPE
Sometimes you just want to get away completely. If you have the time and the vacation days, pack your bags and adventure away from the States to one of these cities.
- Nice, France: Sip a cocktail on the beach, shop for fresh flowers and produce at the Cours Saleya market, or explore one of many art museums during your stay in this coastal city in the French Riviera.
- Venice, Italy: Enjoy the floating city on a romantic gondola ride, while wandering through St. Mark’s Square (Piazza San Marco), or within the grand Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale).
- Santorini, Greece: Sunbathe in the midst of sapphire blue waters, snack on fresh goat cheese, or even learn to scuba dive while on this island in the Aegean sea.
- Barcelona, Spain: Watch a performance at the Magic Fountain (Font Màgica), enjoy a summer concert at Montjuïc Castle, or experience the nightlife of this seaside city.
IF YOU WANT TO… BRING THE KIDS
These stateside destinations are perfect for those seeking family-friendly adventures.
- Orlando, Florida: Orlando is home to Walt Disney World - a magical place of wonder for adults and little ones alike. Put on your walking shoes and be sure to stay hydrated while you and the family trek through Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and more! If you’re still up for adventure, Orlando is also home to other attractions like the Crayola Experience, Universal Orlando’s Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure and Volcano Bay, and the SEA LIFE Orlando Aquarium.
- San Diego, California: Take the kids out to the ballgame at Petco Park, or to the San Diego Zoo or Aquatica San Diego Water Park. Other child-friendly options are the San Diego Natural History Museum and The New Children’s Museum, which includes several studios and workshops, too!
- Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania: You wouldn’t normally think of the Pocono Mountains as a summertime destination, but there are plenty of warm weather activities to do there! Kalahari Resorts is home to indoor and outdoor waterparks, “Gorilla Grove” treetop adventures and more. You can take the kids to visit the Carbon County fair, Claws ‘N’ Paws animal park, the world’s largest general store, rent a rubber duckie boat at Lake Wallenpaupack, and more.
- Zion National Park, Utah: Located in southwestern Utah, Zion National Park is an expansive and beautiful national park with nature trails for hiking or roads to explore a scenic drive. Family-friendly hikes take place daily. Visit the St. George Dinosaur Discovery Site nearby for a dose of history and fun.
IF YOU WANT TO… TRAVEL COMFORTABLY
Traveling can be exhausting, but you can make it fun and comfortable with the right travel essentials!
- Clothes: A soft tee in a lighter-weight material paired with leggings or joggers will look neat and tidy, rather than frumpy. Pack along a sweater or light jacket just in case the car or airplane gets chilly! Comfortable shoes are key for when you’re on-the-go, and pack a pair of cozy slipper socks to get you through airport security and to help make your space (whether that’s in a car or on a train or in a hotel room) feel more like home.
- Snacks: If you’re trying to avoid too many pit-stops, pack some nourishing snacks to keep you alert throughout a long trip! Mixed nuts, sandwiches, fruit and yogurt cups travel easily and will keep you sustained along your journey.
- Games: If you have a deck of cards and a flat surface (even your lap will do), there are so many ways you can pass the time during travels. If you’re in the car with kids, teach them some family-friendly games. I Spy is a favorite that helps you to better enjoy your surroundings, too!
IF YOU WANT TO… MAKE IT A “STAYCATION”
A staycation can be just as fun as a traditional vacation - plus, you save travel time! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with reserving some time for a little r&r in the comfort of your own home or neighborhood.
- Netflix Binge: Pour yourself your favorite glass of wine, sit back and relax in some cozy slipper socks, and binge watch the day (or night) away!
- Local Carnival: Many towns have block parties and community carnivals. Search what’s in your area for fun local happenings!
- Camping in Your Backyard: Escape into nature without really getting away! Set up a tent in your backyard, tell spooky stories, stargaze, and roast marshmallows by the fire with the comfort of knowing you can always go back inside.
- Book a Spa Day: Set aside a day for pure relaxation at your local spa! Book a massage, get your hair and nails done, and enjoy a yummy beverage. You’ll feel relaxed and refreshed without having to travel too far.
There are so many fun ideas for where to visit this summer, even if they’re places in your own backyard!
Where do you plan to visit this summer? Tell us in the comments!